Sunday, December 16, 2007

A gang is a family for kids who have none


How many times have we seen a group of kids in the streets and think that they are up to no good? I am sure it has happened to everyone many times. We immediately identify them as trouble-makers and gang members. What we do not think is how or why they ended up there. We judge them without knowing their story and we are the ones who subconsciously don’t let them get out of that hole. Everything these boys go through just because they do not have homes or family or someone to comfort them, is really sad. They are looking for attention and they do not care who gives it to them. That is why I think families are so important in every one's life .Families should keep a strong connection between them, so kids would not feel isolated from anyone. Hard as it is to believe they act as delinquents to get someone’s attention.
In my particular case, my family is closed. I have never had any problems with any of my loved ones and it may be because I was raised in a loving environment. There was not room in my heart for doubting their love and affection towards me. Even now that the whole family has been distanced our love is even stronger, and that is what those kids are missing, a group of people who can embrace them for who they are.
Their stories are similar, some have lost one or both their parents. Their tutor, sometimes a family member, is on drugs and it seems to me that it is an environment so full of drugs, violence and sadness in a way, that it is really hard for anyone living it everyday, to just say enough. I have seen many kids, with only 13 or 14 years old, become involved on gangs. My middle school was packed with them. Kids that when you got a chance to know them, were smart and sometimes nice, but lacking a lot of love and confidence. Some of them have been in jails or thrown out of school already, but there are a couple of them who have learned to be far away from gangs the hard way. I have seen kids being beating down by 5 or 6 others and it hurts me to say it but there was not much I could do. Not even securities cared. I used to cry every night because I did not want to go to school anymore, at least not in such a violent environment, but I had to.
We should pay more attention to what is happening in our society, including gangs. Before judging them we must find a solution to their problems. We must rely on the thought that they did not have a choice. They chose gangs because they were in contact with a group of peers who had something in common. Deep down inside I think they hope for someone to rescue them from that life, but no one wants to deal with problematic kids, it is easier to let the police take care of them, or so we think. However it is not fair to be looking out of a window in your car, with all the possible accommodations and point the finger to a kid who did not had any growing up.

No comments: